Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Since the Black Eyed Peas..

Dear Blog, I have been neglecting you ...

Well, since the BEP concert lots have happened. I've been busying myself with studies and a couple of shoots. Of course HIDE takes up most of my time and so does my new project with TrulyAsia.net.

Which brings me to my Pangkor Island excursion under tourism Malaysia. I have to share the stills that I took whilst there in my next Blog post. *promise*

My Voice over script for DAY ONE describes it clearly:

Pangkor Island is an island off the coast of Perak in the north-west peninsular Malaysia. You can either fly there or take a ferry across. As for me, I took a ferry from Lumut to Pangkor Island. The land area of Pangkor is only 8 square kilometers, and approximately 25,000 Islanders inhabit this small little paradise. Other than its tourist attraction the the fishing and fish products remain the major striving industry of the Island. Pangkor is surrounded by nine islands, however Pangkor and Pangkor Laut are the two biggest and the only two inhabited by people.

You see, Pangkor was a refuge for local fishermen, merchants and pirates.

And Interestingly Pangkor island has much foreign influences as in the 17th century, the Dutch built a fort in an effort to control the Perak tin trade. in 1874, it was the location of a historic treaty between a contender to the Perak throne and the British government (The Pangkor Treaty), which began the British colonial domination of the Malay Peninsula.

Pangkor has enthralled the visitors for centuries with her charming beauty. In the olden days, she was the refuge of seaman who sailed through the Straits of Melaka because of the idyllic bays in Pangkor which made it the prefect stopover.

Today, Pangkor is a thriving tourist destination. Visitors will surely be charmed by the serenity of her fishing villages, her small but bustling towns and her splendid selection of world-class holiday resorts.

Jetty

Of course my ferry ride was the most amazing coz I obviously got a spectacular vie from the deck and managed to catch a rescue plane in action. Honestly, you do not get a chance to see a plane land on water everyday. Once, I the ferry docked, I was obviously excited to start my adventures on the Island. The first thing I wanted to do was head to my hotel where I can safely place my luggage and head to the town for some shopping!

Hotel

After loading my luggage in my hotel room, I head on out to my town excursion with my camera – Never leave home without my SLR!! I know I will be snapping some awesome shots in Pangkor town.

Town

As I stepped into the town, the first thing I noticed was the locals. You’d be amazed with how friendly and helpful the locals are. Then the next thing you would notice is the smell of dried fish because most of the shops sell them! Although the main attraction would be the fish products but my favourite would definitely be the batiks that are sold here. Its beyond affordable pricing mind you. I managed to purchase a beach pareo or better known to the locals here as “sarong” for just RM 10 and it was large enough to wrap TWO of me!

Fort

Its cliché but when you’re on a holiday, its a MUST to visit the historical aspects of a place. In Pangkor Island the major historical marking would be the fort built by the Dutch dated since 1670.

Dutch Fort is located at Teluk Gedung and it was one of the Dutch strongholds against pirates and local Malays. However, it was destroyed in the year 1690 by the locals due to the unhappy treatment from the Dutch occupiers. However, to our benefit, the National Museum undertook its reconstruction to restore the remains of the fort in the year 1973 for the benefit of tourists like you and I.

Pangkor Laut Island

All the historical lessons put aside, I must say my main attraction of the day has yet to unfold. I hopped to the next biggest Island called Pangkor Laut for my private island excursion. I had to take another ferry to the island and ofcourse this ferry was allot smaller than the last but much more luxurious! I felt like a Dutchess on Board and the minute I stepped out, I was amazed with the most awe stricken scenery of the Island. Honestly what you see on this video, is nothing compared with experiencing it in person.

Pangkor Laut is a privately owned island located three miles off the West Coast of Malaysia in the Straits of Melaka. This island encompasses a total of 300 acres, there is only a fraction has been developed to house the Pangkor Laut Resort and its Estate while the rest is covered by a lush and unspoiled two million year old rainforest. Don’t be surprise to find some unwanted pets lurking around your midst while your sun-tanning by the Beach! But there’s nothing to worry about, it only reminds you of the wonders of nature that surrounds you!

The Resort offers many fine dining opportunities, and a luxuriously wide range of facilities and activities. You would like to note that the Pangkor Island resort has been widely praised for its attentive and gracious services and honestly the Pangkor Laut Resort staff are overwhelmingly welcoming and have the touch to make you feel right at home! It’s no wonder that it has been voted the second best Island destination in the world by Conde Nast Traveller in October 1999 and listed as one of the Best 101 Hotels in the World by Tatler Travel Guide 2006.

Upon arriving the island it was the greeting view that I got from the elegant sea villas rising out of sparkling emerald waters, that took my breath away!

Lunch by the Beach
My advise is that if you are having lunch by at Emerald Beach In Pangkor Laut, be sure to try the coconut water with your lunch. It only gives a kick to the atmosphere by the Beach!

Spa Village

There is no doubt that the best relief and the best way to unwind would be a visit to the Spa. Although the Hair Saloon in the middle of the Beach in the Spa Village caught my attention too! But I think I only had time for one thing so I chose the traditional au de natural massage where there is an extensive menu of treatments to choose from for the best custom spa experience of a lifetime! I chose the mixed massage mixture called the Spa Village Signature Campur-campur. It held the elements of Javanese, and Thai in the massage treatment. I swear, it was the most invigorating feeling ever!

Being a village on its own, the complex comprises eight treatment pavilions, a deluxe Belian Treament Pavillion, Healing Huts which include Chinese herbal, Ayurvedic and Malay Huts, 2 bath houses, 3 Thai pavilions, 3 Nap gazebos, a Herbal garden, a 50 metre lap pool, Fisherman’s Cove restaurant, Jamu Bar, a Library and a spa boutique! Oh, and did I mention there are 22 Spa villas situated over the sea with direct access to the Spa Village?! I think I’d need to come back on a separate holiday just to explore the Spa Village!

It has obviously earned its ranked as the “Top 10 Overseas Spa Retreats” in Conde Nast traveller Readers’ Spa Awards 2005!

Snorkelling

I usually dont have a liking to swimming in the sea but the waters in Pangkor Laut Island were so clear, it was too inviting and I just couldn’t say no! I just had to rent a boat, and equipment to go snorklelling! I was right, the view from the waters were so much better. Imagine being able to experience under water life come alive right before your very eyes!

Snorklelling is not the only water sport available at the private island. Ofcourse they offer many other water sport activities, which I would love to try but time was not on my side as I only had one more day on Pangkor Island.

Garden Villa

After all that snorkelling and swimming, I had to get myself checked into one of the Graden Villas to freshen up and to get ready for my dinner dates with two of the Resort Managers. I heard the Lobsters here are amazing, so I will definitely be ordering that for dinner tonight! By the way, the outdoor showers in my Garden Villa is breathtakingly refreshing!

**Tea at that Captain Something Restaurant ***

Its still early for dinner so I decided to have a bite of some of that delicious fish they serve on the island for tea. Mind you, the taste was beyond delicious!

Sun set by the Rocks

After my bite to eat for tea, I rushed to enjoy the rest of the sunset on a peer by the Rocks. The view was out of this world and I enjoyed the sun set sipping on my fruit cocktail at the edge of the peer. Despite all that munching I did all day, my stomach was aching for dinner. I hope my Lobster is ready for me!

Dinner

(no voice over coz there is the interview).


Sea Villas

Of course my adventures on the private island has to come to an end and I have to retire to sleep. Despite the dark night, the walkway to my sea villa was fully lit. I had to take a slow walk to my Sea Suite and enjoy the sounds of the waves gushing below me!

As I entered my Sea Suite I couldn’t just go to sleep straight away because once again, I was struck with utter admiration of my room. I must say the designers of Pangkor Laut Resort has done a good job. Every window in my suite opens to the ocean, even the ones in the bathroom!!! I must say, there is no need for air conditioning for me tonight; I’ll be sleeping in sea breeze listening to the lovely sounds of the waves!

The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

☆ Sponsored by ...