Be wise, alert and smart people. If you ever receive a message or email like the one depicted below, please think twice before you click on their attachment.
A text from my bank was sent to me last week, warning all internet banking users to not open any attachment or click on any link that is sent to them from their respective banks as they will steal all information connected to your email and use it to access your banking online banking account.
Today I received the above email from HSBC. I only have one message: Nice try scammers! I do not own a HSBC account. However, I know people who do so please be careful.
Be smart. Think about it, if your access to your online banking facility has been blocked or "limited" in any way as mentioned in the email above, your banks would not EMAIL you. I believe they will either keep quiet and wait for your call when you find difficulties logging into your own account or they would do the honours in calling you themselves. In the process, they would ask you a zillion and one verification questions before they actually allow your access.
Well, at least that's what MY bank would do. I couldnt even get my ATM card replaced when it got stolen because they wanted some form of identification but my robbers took EVERYTHING!! Trust me, they wouldn't allow access to your account this easy - via email.
I will get down to reporting this abuse to the MCMC as soon as I have time. I wish the reporting procedure was a more user friendly method -.- if it was I could lodge my concerns right now. In view of the rise of internet scams, I wish the MCMC made it easier for the concerned public. Maybe its something they would want to look into in the near future.
In the meantime, stay alert, be wise and dont even click on any suspicious email attachments. I'll be looking into shutting down my online internet banking account for the time being... until the internet world is assuredly safe one day.
Anyhoots, I filled in an online feedback form on HSBC's official website informing them of the alleged scam.
Lets hope they act on this and do something about this funny email. Coz I'm certain as hell, hsbc's email domain is not "hsbcnet.com". Like who has a "net" before their dot com?!?!
<--- So far this is what I got from HSBC. They are quite efficient and fast in their replies (due to their electronic prompt) but notice that their email domain address is hsbc.com.my



Thks for the information. Have to be careful nowadays. My cheque was stolen in the mail and someone managed to come up with the same cheque as mine, same figure but different payee name....luckily the bank detected the fraud and I got my money back.
ReplyDelete